The Association was formed in 1958 in order to provide a forum for an industry that was becoming more diverse and complicated. This was needed for two reasons. Firstly, the industry had to develop an internal focus to establish and agree the views of its members. Secondly, through contacts with Government these views could be put forward and developed into an acceptable strategy for the industry. This contact with government has been maintained and strengthened and is now proving vital for the industry which is being increasingly regulated.
Objectives of the Association
The Constitution defines these as: -
To promote public education concerning the use of pesticides and to encourage research in the application of pesticides under East African conditions. Through the medium of the Executive Committee, to provide an agency for liaison with government and others, on all matters of mutual interest.
To consider, and where possible and desirable in the common interests of the members, to deal with matters relating to: -
- Customs duty and rates
- Currency allocations and import restrictions
- Registration and labeling
- Setting of standards
- Safety codes
- Analytical and test methods
- Promoting the FAO Code of Conduct
- To protect and further the common trade interests of its members, where these are concerned with the manufacture, formulation and distribution of pesticides. To cooperate with all agencies seeking the improvement of Kenyan agricultural and pastoral production. Code of Practice
The following code has now been adopted as a means of achieving the objectives of the association: -
Aims and Objectives
- To promote the common interests of its members at home and abroad;
- To foster the responsible and safe manufacture and use of pesticides and related chemicals as defined in the constitution of the Association with due regard for the interests of the community and of the environment;
- To place the views of the industry before the Government, government departments and others;
- To ensure that the industry is presented fairly and positively at all times;
- To do all lawful things incidental or conducive to the attainments of the above objectives.
- Ensure that all appropriate staff in their employment are aware of the Associationís Code of Practice and comply with it;
- Foster good manufacturing practice in their industrial premises and those of their sub-contractors;
- Take all reasonable steps to secure compliance with the relevant sections of this Code of Practice by purchasers of chemical products known to be destined for resale as pesticide and related chemicals under their own labels, whether or not after formulation.
- Take such steps as are open to them to ensure that users of their products handle them correctly and responsibly;
- Drawn to the attention of the Association any information which may lead to improvement in standards of safe use of pesticide and related chemicals
Members will comply with the provisions of the Pest Control Products Act and other relevant legislation concerning pesticides and related chemicals which have been enacted by Government and which contain recommendations regarding layout and content, print size and the placing of information and phrases that are required by law.
Members will comply with the provisions of the Pest Control Products Act, in so far as they may affect content and layout of labels.
Advertising and Promotion
This section covers any form or medium by which or in which a product is promoted to any member of the public outside the company concerned, particularly to distributors and users. In all forms of media, promotion shall be a reputable type and be capable of full substantiation as regards its technical content. Members will comply with legal requirements and voluntary codes in common use. Comparisons may be drawn, provided that they are true comparisons, fully comprehensive and not selective in data used and are based on accurate trial work, the authority of which is given in the promotion. Members must be prepared on request substantiate claims by full reports of trial work on which such comparisons are drawn.
In the promotion of their products, members will not make unjustifiable safety claims and will always ensure that in any promotion, members name and addresses are clearly stated and provide adequate contact points for all matters related to the use of their products.
Distribution and Handling
So far as it lies in their power, members will ensure: -
- That their products are contained in packages suitable for the purpose under any storage and climatic conditions likely to be met;
- That their products are transported in a safe manner by responsible carriers who are informed of the nature of the goods carried;
- That adequate product and medical information and an emergency telephone numbers are available;
- That merchants and customers are provided with adequate information on storage and handling of pesticide and related chemicals and specific advice on products with special storage requirements. Product Knowledge
Members will: -
Ensure that those of their staff who deal with the public and the users of their products, particularly whose advice may be sought, are technically competent and responsible;
Give all responsible help in training and advising the end users of their products.
Members of the association will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the product supplied to customers conform to the specifications provided by the manufacturer or his/her own specification, if formulated locally.
Production Production in the agrochemical field may be regarded as covering basic manufacture, formulation and packaging of any pesticide and related chemical products.
- Members will adopt good manufacturing, formulation and packaging practice.
- Production will be undertaken in suitable premises, arrange, operated and supervised so that potential cross-contamination between different groups of pesticide and related chemicals is eliminated.
- Members will comply with the relevant legislation and, in particular, will enforce safety precautions for the health of employees engaged in any procedures involving pesticides and related chemicals.
- Members will manufacture, formulate and package in such a manner as to minimize environmental contamination.
- All product manufacture shall be in accordance with full specifications backed by adequate quality control facilities. Use of logo In recognition of acceptance of this Code of Practice, members may utilize the logo of the Association, which is a registered device in Kenya, on their labels and advertising material as an assurance of quality to the consumer.
- Manufacturers of active ingredients used in the formulation of agricultural chemicals and related products.
- Formulators contracted to manufacturers of active ingredients used in the formulation of agricultural chemicals and related products.
- Contracted representatives of manufacturers of agricultural chemicals and related products not otherwise represented in Kenya.
Membership is open to: - Full Members
This shall be open to any person or organization in Kenya whose main business is one of the following: -
This shall be open to those persons of corporations involved in the distribution and/or usage of pesticides and related products originating from suppliers described above or other sources registered with the Pest Control Products Board.
Non-Resident Members This shall be open to any manufacturer, trade or person who is not based in Kenya but is marketing pesticides through an appointed agent or agents.